Roasted Asparagus with Lemon Rosemary Butter Sauce
This oven roasted asparagus with lemon rosemary butter sauce is a delicious side dish for your weekly rotation. It’s simple to make and contains many healthy ingredients. A creamy sauce made of reduced white cooking wine, lemon, garlic, butter, and rosemary accompanies the seasoned and roasted asparagus. For a finishing touch, top the dish with a few sprigs of rosemary, chopped walnuts, and pomegranate seeds. You can strain the sauce for a smooth appearance or leave the chopped rosemary in which is what I like to do. With the holidays approaching, this vegan asparagus side dish would make a pretty addition to any holiday dinner table.
Some health benefits of the following ingredients in this recipe:
- Asparagus–Vitamin A, C,E and K, fiber, antioxidants, calcium, and folate, supports heart and digestive health.
- Garlic– Boosts immune system, improves circulation, vitamins A, B6, C, K, phosphorous, potassium, magnesium, zinc, calcium, iron, a rare source of allicin.
- Lemon–Vitamin A, B6, E, niacin, thiamin, riboflavin, pantothenic acid, calcium, iron, magnesium, and potassium.
- Rosemary–Vitamin A, B6, E, manganese, thiamin, iron, copper, calcium, magnesium, and high dietary fiber.
- Walnuts–Omega 3 fatty acid, protein, anti inflammatory, antioxidants, lowers cholesterol, improves digestion, can improve sleep.
- Pomegranate–Antioxidants, vitamins B6, C, K, E, fiber, potassium, calcium, copper, iron, phosphorous, manganese, promotes heart health, soothes inflammation, boots memory.
Roasted Aspargus with Lemon Rosemary Butter Sauce
- 10 asparagus spears (or more)
- 2 tbls extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbls lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp seasoning salt
- 1/8 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup white cooking wine
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tbls vegan butter
- 1 tsp fresh rosemary, chopped fine
- 2 tsp maple syrup or agave
- 1/8 tsp salt, or more to taste
- 1.5 tsp cornstarch
- 2 tsp water
- 1/4 cup walnuts, chopped optional
- 1/4 cup pomegranate arils optional
Preheat your oven to 425F and line a baking sheet with tinfoil. Wash and trim the asparagus (1-2 inches off stem).
Set the asparagus on the baking sheet in one even layer. In a small bowl stir 1 tbls of the olive oil and 1 tbls of lemon juice together. Pour it over the asparagus and sprinkle them with the seasoning salt and pepper. Mix the asparagus around so they are evenly coated. Roast them in the preheated oven for 12-15 mins.
Meanwhile, in a saucepan heat 1 tbls of olive oil. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute over medium low heat. Add the cooking wine, water, butter, 1 tbls lemon juice, salt, chopped rosemary, and maple syrup (or agave).
In a small bowl add the cornstarch to 2 tbls of water and stir. Whisk this mixture into the saucepan with the other ingredients. Bring to a simmer and then reduce heat to low, cooking for 5 minutes and whisking frequently. The sauce will thicken. Add a bit more water if you would like a thinner sauce. After it has finished cooking, you can strain the sauce so that it's smooth, or leave it as is.
Pour the sauce over the cooked asparagus and top with chopped walnuts, pomegranate arils, and rosemary sprigs, if desired.
This roasted asparagus recipe would pair well as a side dish for my mushroom and caramelized onion French dip sandwiches with vegan red wine au jus (recipe here).
This post contains affiliate links, which means we may receive a small commission, at no cost to you, if you make a purchase through a link.
The following ingredients can be purchased through Amazon: